Re: Drainage vs rot?

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 JMull58284@aol.com wrote:

> We probable "Lucked Out" this year.  Out of the 1000+ iris (675 TBs of
> variour varieties we lost perhaps four pieces in a clump.  With these I dug
> out the clump, divided it and soaked it with about 10% solution of bleach,
> and of course discardes the rotted piece.
That sounds absolutely fantastic. Have you got someplace to keep
records of the ones that rotted. There have been lots of
discussions about managing records on the Iris-List.

> I am a fanatic when it comes to dranage, cleaning out clumps of dead leaves
> and debree, and making certain all clumps get plenty of sun.  I make my
> "Rounds" of the bed at least once a month.  As I say, I may be lucky, but I
> try to give the plant the best possible chance. Bill Mull

OK, Could you please tell us if 1)you have sand in your soil? 2)Do
you have raised beds? 3)Is your garden sloped? 4)How much clay do
you have in your soil? 4) How damp is your garden? You can test for
sand by taking a handful of soil in your hand and making it
thoroughly wet and then rubbing the mushy soil between your thumb
and index finger. If you can feel little gritty bits, you have
sand. BTW what zone are you in?

--
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada