Re: Rebloomers & AIS membership

At 03:00 AM 11/10/96 -0700, you wrote:

Carolyn S. wrote:

>I think that many of us are completely missing the boat by not having paid
>much much more attention to rebloomers in the past. Guess what I'm going
>to be doing in MY garden!!
>
>Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY where there is 3 " of snow on my Immortality
>this AM.

Carolyn,

Here on the edge of the Cumberland Plateau of Tennessee we woke up to 8" of
snow this morning.  It was not that cold, and most of it has melted by early
afternoon, but this is unusual for mid-November.  I had a stalk with a bud
on SWEET REFLECTION, but I'm sure I will not see it open   We have more cold
weather forecast.
I agree with your comments about rebloomers.  I sell some iris (not a big
business, just a sign on the road during bloom season.)   When I tell people
that certain iris rebloom, most of them reply that they did not know that
iris rebloomed.  However, when they learn about rebloomers, most people want
to buy them.  The public is finding out about rebloomes, and the demand is
going to increase.  Now Schreiner's lists some rebloomer collections, but
the problem is that not all of them rebloom in all areas.  The best source
for rebloomers, I think, is a local grower who has tested them in your area.
Of course this is not always available, so as Linda Mann and others have
said, the next best thing is to order from someone who has a similar
climate.  Even so, microclimates can make a difference.  I have ordered a
number of rebloomers from Phil Williams' Rockytop Garden in Eagleville, TN.
Julie Allen   jwallen@blomand.net  Sparta, TN, zone 6