Re: Rebloomers & AIS membership

> Now a piece of trivia
>         Here in NZ we pay $11.00(nz) for a piece of Thornbird(TB/ space
> ager) or         $7.85(US) what is the price in the US Yes I'm Nosy!!!
> ***
> Sonya --
>         Can't answer the question about price, don't have a catalogue, but
> I can tell you I saw a picture of Thornbird yesterday in KLG's advance
> copy of the Bulletin -- it is way beyond spectacular. If you can get it
> for either of those prices, do so.
>         In this photo, it is a light blue self, with smallish standards and
> horizontal falls, very slight ruffling. The beard is blue and extends (I'm
> sure there is a term for the tip of the beard which extends) and curves
> upward. Very distinctive.

That doesn't sound like the Thornbird I've grown for several years.
(Except for the "distinctive"  ;-)

I'd call it a greenish tan, with lavender/purple veining. The horns
(almost always present) are a deeper reddish purple. Sometimes there
are spoons the same color as the petals instead of the horns, making
for a much less dramatic effect.

Schreiners list it for $12.50 US, and their picture is a more yellowish

It is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but few are neutral about it.
It is a good garden plant.

Gerry in Los Angeles, where I just made a bed of 21 rhizomes of
Mesmerizer (Monty Byers's real masterpiece, IMHO) to grow stalks
and doorprize rhizomes for the Region 15 Spring Meeting. Increase
from the rhizome I bought in '91 have earned my home club well
over $100 at auctions and sales.