Data bases

We have experts on both the information stored in the R&I and computer
experts that can advise on the manipulation the data to speed up the
tranformation to a digital form.  The problem is AIS does not have a large
budget.  At the World Conservation Congress, I spoke about the same problem
and suggested that there should be greater use of the private sector by the
biologists and horticulturalists of the world.  AIS might contract out the
transfer of the data and its sale in a text or electonic format.  A royalty
would be paid to AIS.  As the document is of interest to a lot of people
over a long time period, and requires continuous new editions, it might be a
reasonable commerical proposition.

Ian E. Efford
avocet@worldlink.ca
Ottawa zone 3