RE: Drainage vs rot?

Diana, You write:

>Linda et al, I should have made this point in the last message crt
>the drainage. I have been wondering all summer whether good
>drainage would stop or decrease rot. Seems not in Linda's garden.
>How about everyone else?

Living just outside of Seattle, WA ,where as everyone knows it always rains!,
I can say that up until last year I had very little problem with rot. But this
last year I had quite a bit of rot along with leaf spot. Everyone up here says
that last year was the wetest spring we have had in a very long time. So I
would venture to say that although rot is a bacteria therfore not caused by
dampness, the bacteria does seem to thrive better in damp weather.
Fortunately with diligent scraping cutting and Sulphuring I was able to save
all the Iris except one.

Jefrie Jenkins
Kent, WA  zone 5