Re: seeds and compost list

<< I have grown this species from two different sources of seed.  I was
 surprised that one germinated the summer after planting.  The other source
 germinated in the second summer.  The thing that impressed me about this
 species is the colour compared to the descriptions.  I consider it to be a
 yellow green but many of the descriptions talk about brown. >>

Ian, I. reichenbachii is supposedly easy to grow, but I have not tried it.
 The iris with which it is often confused, I. suaveolens (syn. I. mellita) is
not in my experience easy...it is very tempermental.  The yellow form of
reichenbachii is often described as "dull" which would be compatible with a
greenish yellow.  It was, of course, the yellow form of I. reichenbachii (or
suaveolens) that was used by Paul Cook to produce PROGINITOR, a very strange
and ugly iris which I grow.  And of course, Cook used PROGINITOR to then
produce WHOLE CLOTH and the entire strain of dominant amoenas...almost all
amoenas since WHOLE CLOTH are out of this line of irises.  Powerful little
species, that I. reichenbachii (or I. suaveolens, as the case may be).
  Clarence Mahan in VA