Re: Checklist conversion to Database program

Avocet International wrote:
> Little's follow-up comments, there is a compromise.  If the lists are
> scanned into digital format, then an expert could use a split screen to
> block from the text and paste into the data base.  This would be much
> quicker than retyping and would avoid errors associated with a complete
> re-write.
> Re-entry of all the data into Access, or its equivalent, would be very time
> consuming and we should use the available technology to ease the process.

There are very inexpensive key entry services that could key in the
checklists in probably less time than it would take to scan them. They
have pretty high accuracy rates because I think in some cases it is done
twice by different people. I think it would be more accurate than
scanning because of the font, lighting, recognition problems. Maybe we
should check out both processes.

Remember we still have not addressed the problem of segmenting each
entry into database fields. Because the entries are not uniform, I think
that automated processing is going to be more difficult than we think.
Certainly some records could be extracted and the others left for
additional processing. And it would be different for the 96 R&I than for
the '39 checklist. As a for instance even in the '89 checklist some
entries use ML for mid to late season, others use M-L. I guess you could
also say that just having all the information electronic is a good first
step and deal with database issues later.

I absolutely agree that someone with knowledge will have to review and
mark up for corrections.

So what do (can) we do wwith the information once we get it? AIS still
owns the copyright on most of it I assume. Copyrights last for 75 years
and can be renewed for another 75 I think. As the statement says "No
part can be reproduced in any form..." etc.

On 7 Nov  in -

1805 Lewis and Clark first sighted the Pacific Ocean.

1875 Verney Cameron is 1st European to cross equitorial Africa from sea
to sea.

1876, Edward Bouchet, is first black to recieve a PhD in US college

1876 - The cigarette manufacturing machine was patented on this day, by
Albert H. Hook of New York City. - He probably had no idea how
appropriate HIS name was for such an invention...

1885 Canada completes its own transcontinental railway.

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1961 - Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean (Hmmmmm)

Born on Carolyn Schaffner's  birthday in :

1867 - (Madame) Marie Curie (Marja Sklodowski) Nobel Prize-winning
physicist [1903]: study of radiation; chemist: discovered radium and

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.