Re: Reg 2 Symposium

<< Top ten symposium irises for Region 2 (New York State)

Is is wonderful news that BEVERLY SILLS, RINGO, EDITH WOLFORD and QUEEN IN
CALICO do so wonderfully in New York that they end up high on the popularity
list.  Seeing how they are so popular in NY, I wonder why these irises do not
do so well here in VA.  BEVERLY SILLS and EDITH WOLFORD might put on on a
good performance every three years here...and are very nice when they
do...but I expect much more out of a good garden iris.  RINGO is a
notoriously poor increaser here...and when increase does occur it seems to be
sickly.  QUEEN IN CALICO is more likely to rot than to bloom here, although I
did keep it alive (barely) several times.  By this point in this message
Kathy Guest will have realized that I am "pulling her chain" a bit.

Just so you know Region 2 is not unique, I have never seen KILT LILT growing
well in any Region 4 garden...but it usually gets from 5 to 10 votes in the
Region 4 Symposium.  An even worse grower in the East, QUEEN OF HEARTS always
gets a number of votes too....I shall never know why these irises get these
votes....Clarence Mahan in VA