Show problems

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Show problems
  • From: Lois Rose <lros@loc.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 08:28:49 -0500 (EST)

And Kathyguest wrote:

> We actually publish this in our club's Show newsletter <snip> We also
> hold a workshop a week before the show on grooming and filling out
> tags... anyone who comes to the show unprepared does not get a lot of
> sympathy.  We also publish a list of judges who will actually go to a
> person's garden for one-on-one for anyone who can't get to the workshop.

This is all great for club members, but what about non-club members who
have seen the show advertised and show up with a stalk misnamed, unnamed,
incorrectly groomed, etc.?  It's a situation that needs to be handled
delicately, even in the rush and chaos of trying to get the show staged,
because these are potential new members.  You don't want to embarrass or
discourage them to the point that they don't join up to learn how to do it
right, but neither can you accept their misnamed stalks.  I remember one
show where this situation resulted in a large "beautiful but unnamed"
section where the irises were given non-AIS awards, and some of the
entrants did join the club to find out how to do it the next year.

Lois Rose, in central Virginia
25 mi. SW of Fredericksburg in southern Spotsylvania County
where a hard frost Sun. night may have finished off the rebloom
Zone 7; peak TB bloom May 15