Re: Show problems

Lois Rose wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Nov 1996 Arnold Koekkoek wrote:
> > We should have avoided that by making it crystal clear at a club meeting
> > just what entering things in a show involved, what had to be done ahead
> > of time, the importance of accurate identification, etc.  I learned by
> > the whole experience, but it should have been avoided.  This year it
> > will, because as the club president this year, I'm going to make sure we
> > have no ignorance, either born of indifference or newness, before we go
> > into the show.
> And Kathyguest wrote:
> > We actually publish this in our club's Show newsletter <snip> We also
> > hold a workshop a week before the show on grooming and filling out
> > tags... anyone who comes to the show unprepared does not get a lot of
> > sympathy.  We also publish a list of judges who will actually go to a
> > person's garden for one-on-one for anyone who can't get to the workshop.
> This is all great for club members, but what about non-club members who
> have seen the show advertised and show up with a stalk misnamed, unnamed,
> incorrectly groomed, etc.?  It's a situation that needs to be handled
> delicately, even in the rush and chaos of trying to get the show staged,
> because these are potential new members.  You don't want to embarrass or
> discourage them to the point that they don't join up to learn how to do it
> right, but neither can you accept their misnamed stalks.  I remember one
> show where this situation resulted in a large "beautiful but unnamed"
> section where the irises were given non-AIS awards, and some of the
> entrants did join the club to find out how to do it the next year.
How about a "first timers" section. They get judged separately with
constructive help. Maybe apprentices could do most of the evaluation.
On 6 Nov  in -

1572, Supernova is observed in the constellation known as Cassiopeia.

1862 Direct Telegraphic link between New York and San Francisco

1897, Professor Abraham Van Helsing's small band slays Count Dracula at
Castle of Dracula (according to Bram Stoker).

1899 - William Gillette starred in Sherlock Holmes, at the production's
debut in New York City this day.  Later, Gillette would be razor sharp
in the same part on the radio.

1917, women win the right to vote in Lakewood, Ohio.

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1962 - Only Love Can Break a Heart - Gene Pitney

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.