Re: Electronic Registrations

> Actually, I
> think a key entry process would be better than scanning. Accuracy is the
> upmost concern among those of us who have spent a little time with this
As someone who is head of a department currently going through this I
agree with John.  We bought an expensive scanner bundled up thousands of
records and sent them out to be scanned professionally.  We then put
them in a database custom set up for these records.  These records were
all set up on the same form.  For the past 7 months we have had between
3 & 5 people going through these records one by one fixing them.  Some
scanned too light, some scanned too dark, some scans have gaps or spots,
etc. etc. Anytime you take mass amounts of data and "dump" them in a
database this type of thing happens.  This is not even the first time we
have dealt with this.  We went to a new computer system and against my
decision large quantities of the data were dumped over to the new
system.  We are still correcting some of those problems.  I personally
feel that the only way to handle this with any degree of accuracy is to
have people who understand the information hand key it in.  After you do
something like this for a while you can just feel when something is
	As John mentioned determining what who needed would be a big
consideration.  One thing that would definetly have to be addressed
would be the corrections that come about years after an iris is
	Would this be separated by 10 year segments or all grouped together.  I
think the all together would be cool.  Maybe sorted onto disks (or
whatever) alpahbetically?
	Either way I am willing and eager to help.  Although not the worlds
best I do have some experience (14 years) at different types of data
entry as that has been at least a part of my job description.

Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
Where we are currently 1.5 inches behind in rain for the month of
October and @ 5 inches behind for the year.