Re: Show problems

> This is all great for club members, but what about non-club members who
> have seen the show advertised and show up with a stalk misnamed, unnamed,
> incorrectly groomed, etc.?
In this circumstance we approach the newcomer (nc) and tell them how
glad we are that they are there to participate in the show.  We then
find them a spot on a table and ask the name of the iris.  If they do
not know it we go to a couple of the old timers who can "Name That Iris"
and see if they can help, all the while explaining to the nc that they
can not show the iris without a name.  If the iris remains unnamed we
help them to groom the iris so that they will know how next time and
then offer to display it on the "Display Only" table with a request to
name this iris.  Admittedly we have more that do not get named than do
but the nc senses that we are interested in them.  We then give the nc a
couple of our show schedule where everything is spelled out (even the
fact that the society is not required to name their iris for them) and
invite them to come back after the judging and view the show.  Somewhere
in there they get half a dozen invitations to attend a meeting and get
to know more about iris and people who grow them.
	I have been a member, director and officer in many organizations and
participated in the showing of any number of things.  They all have
rules and regulations.  The difference with iris is the marvelous
people. Iris people are the most open, friendly, group I have ever had
the pleasure to encounter.  If we can get the nc in the door here in
Lubbock we do our best to make them happy enough to come back again.

--
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
Where we are currently 1.5 inches behind in rain for the month of