Re: Thanks for the Welcome

> We live close to Winnipeg (only major city in all of Manitoba) which =
> only about 20 km from here but there is not local Iris Society there or =
> in the province.  I would like to start one (any suggestions?) and I =
> would like very much some info on becoming a judge of irises.
I am afraid that I don't know what is required to become an iris judge
in Canada but I know there are people on the mail list who can help.
Starting an iris society must be much like starting any other club.
Find a group of people and meet a few times to see what you think.  I am
sure that there are probably rules that could be obtained from the
parent organization dealing with the particulars if you are going to be
an affiliate but I also know that you do not have to start out as an
affiliate of the parent organization.  One club here in Texas was
started with a newspaper ad telling people about the meeting.  They also
left flyers at their local gardens and nurseries.  It seems to have
worked for them.  I believe they held a show this year.
	What are your iris hybridizing goals?  We have several very well
respected hybridizers here on this list who can probably help with any
	I know this is off topic but tell me about your hemorcallis intro's.  I
love lillies and daylillies although I have never scraped together the
money to buy any of the newer daylilly introductions.  If I could find
some hostas that would do well down here I would try some on the north
side of the house in the shade. I don't think they tolerate our arid
climate well?
	I can't imagine iris blooming in July.  Must have been some year. Did
you get to see the blooms at all?  What do they look like?

Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
Where we are currently 1.5 inches behind in rain for the month of
October and @ 5 inches behind for the year.