Re: Thanks for the Welcome

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Dana Brown wrote:

> 	I can't imagine iris blooming in July.  Must have been some year. Did
> you get to see the blooms at all?  What do they look like?

	I couldn't resist saying something about `iris blooming in July' -
	here in Zone 3 in northern New Hampshire, USA, I had irises blooming
	in June, July, August and September.

	The peak Siberian bloom here was around June 27th. The first Siberian
	bloomed June 13th and the last Japanese took its leave on Sept.10th
	this year.

	We did have a space of 'down time' after the Siberians and waiting
	for the Japanese. We sure saw some blooms and it was a very good

	We consider iris to be a summer bloomer here rather than a spring
	flower...in '97, I'll have some some MDBs blooming and maybe some
	reticulatas in '98 and maybe we can try for five months of iris
	bloom (or more). One more thing about colder climates and bloom.
	The flowers last a long time due to the chilly nights, etc.

	It is our compensation for not having reblooming TBs. :-)

	Ellen Gallagher e_galla@moose.ncia.net  Lancaster, NH,USA
	 Zone 3a