Re: A Great Idea & AIS BOD

In a message dated 96-11-04 21:07:16 EST, Dorothy Fingerhood writes:

>Good Lord, Kathy!  All the work involved in finding irises and competitiors
>and setting it all up and etc., etc., and you're going to do a MOCK show?!
> Aye, yi, yi!  What else did you pick up at the BOD meeting??

Dorothy - I think this could be one of the most meaningful judges training an
apprentice could get.  We'll find time... and there's ALWAYS irises!

My first 'official' BOD meeting was fascinating.  I had no idea how hard
these people work, and how dedicated they are.  We met on Friday from 8:30 to
11 pm, Saturday from 8:30 am to just about midnight (with a short break for
lunch and for dinner), and from 8 am to noon Sunday - and there were still a
few reports that we didn't get to.  That's a LOT of time... and yet the
discussion never became less animated nor less focused.  I have 14 tapes to
back up my shorthand.

As far as individual actions, I think I'll let Clarance handle answering
those because he's a voting member and first VP and I'm "just the secretary",
Recording Secretary.  But I CAN tell you that Terry Aitken, Doug Goodnight
and Lorena Reid won the Hybridizer's Award...

I felt very fortunate to have so many people on the Board helping me 'get it
right'.  Sometimes the discussion goes on for awhile and then, suddenly,
there would be a flurry of lightning motions and Kathyguest would be left in
the dust.  Marilyn Harlow and Jeanne Plank flanked me ... and so I was in
very good hands for the duration.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer from my own
perspective...but Clarence is a much better source.

Kathyguest... who got to see Pike's Peak out her hotel window and has put
Colorado waaaaay up on the list of places I'd like to visit someday!