R & I

In a message dated 96-11-05 07:04:20 EST, Diana Louise writes:

>I know this is a bit late but what's the R & I? Where can I buy it?

Diana:  R & I refers to the AIS Registration and Introductions book - these
are booklets published each year of the irises registered and introduced (to
the market) during a given year.  The R & I has no pictures, but has a
controlled description  of each iris which includes the seedling number, type
of iris, height, colors and who introduced it.  This is invaluable
information and I use mine extensively.  Not only can you check your iris
against the R & I in the garden or when preparing for a show... but you can
also will find a list of hybridizers in the back of the book and a list of
their registrations and introductions for the year.   Every 10 years, AIS
publishes a compilation of the decade.  And, for us geekoids, the AIS will
study the possibility of putting this information - an ENORMOUS task - onto
disk!  In fact, anyone who is interested in helping with the project, raise
your hand because AIS will need all the volunteer help they can get when this
project is approved.

Anyone who is in judges training should have the registration and
introductions book as a good supplement to their training.  Anyone who is
hybridizing NEEDS the books in order to study backgrounds of the iris they're
working with.   The R & I's are only $6.00
each.  The last compliations are priced between $10 to $17.

Kathyguest... who knows that as much as she'd like to spare someone the
embarrassment of misnaming an iris in a show by helping them correctly name
their irises at the show - there just is no time and the pace is furious.
 Questions on iris identity should be solved in the garden... and this can
best be accomplished IF the gardener has a list of what they purchased!
 Another very important reason why good mapping and labeling is a MUST for
anyone who hopes to show!