Re: Digging, dousing, replanting

Dana said,

 >> It is hard to find someplace to dry them that is out of the sun and out
 >> of the dirt.  How do the big gardens handle this?

Don't know how the big places do it, but I use a 3 x 4 foot piece of hardware
cloth that has the sides bent down (used in other seasons for sifting soil when
placed over a wheelbarrow).  That way the rhizomes are held up off the ground
and have air circulating around them, and you can put the thing whereever is
shady without worrying about what's underneath getting on the irises (dirt,
dew, insects).  Maybe you have too many for this to be practical?  My hardware
cloth resources were strained by digging twenty-some two-year-old clumps this
summer.

   Nell Lancaster, Lexington, Virginia, USA    zone 6b (-5 winter low; hah!)
       75500.2521@compuserve.com