Electronic Registrations

Irisborer@aol.com wrote:

> >s.  Scanning takes about 60-85
> >sec/page and is automated on most scanners.
> >
> Yes, but there's two problems
>
> 1.  Scanning needs considerable cleaning
> 2.  If we're going to do it, we'll put it into a database... which means the
> info has to be entered
>
> /klg

Sorry, I just can't stay out of this any more.

There are giant problems associated with just getting the existing data
into electronic form - which are formidible because of inconsistancies
in the formats, fonts, interpretation of the data, and on and on. For
instance, in some cases the fact that something is in bold face type
means something special, but not in all the checklists. Actually, I
think a key entry process would be better than scanning. Accuracy is the
upmost concern among those of us who have spent a little time with this.
Aside from all those problems, we really need to figure out how people
want to use the data. Sort, index, collate, reports, filters,
geneaology, search fields presenattion of the information, etc. It all
has tremendous impact on how we approach the problem. With todays
technology do we want to include pictures in the database? Don't get me
wrong, I am very much in favor of the idea, and I am so much a boot at
irises (that means beginner) I don't even know all the right questions
to ask.

As a for instance, if we are going to go through this effort, shouldn't
we also look at making the job easier in the future. Perhaps we should
recommend that AIS be more consistent in the way they allow (or require)
people to describe their irises for registration. What are the required
fields, use of specific words etc. Then there is of course the question
of how to distribute it.

Certainly the first step is to start getting the information
electronically.

Sorry about the soap box.

There are truly dragons here...
--

On 5 Nov  in -

1639, First colonial Post Office established in Massachusetts.

1605, the so-called "Gunpowder Plot" failed as Guy Fawkes was seized
before he could blow up the English Parliament. Plot uncovered & leader
Guy Fawkes hanged.

1872, suffragist Susan B. Anthony was fined $100 for attempting to vote
in the presidential election for Ulysses S. Grant. She never paid the
fine. Typical...(Well, I wonder how often I'll get flamed for that?)

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1963 - Deep Purple - Nino Tempo and April Stevens
---

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.