Iris show experiences

Dana Brown wrote:
> judged a show several years ago where there were a high number of
> misnamed iris (8 or 10).  One or another of us on the panel had grown
> these iris and knew without a doubt that they were incorrect.  We wrote
> "misnamed" on the tags and went on with our judging.  After the judging
> was over I stepped outside for a cigarette (nasty habit, I know) and was
> met by a man wanting to know if I was one of "those" judges.  When I
> proudly admitted that yes, I was he begun to chew me out.  His wife (the
> one who had entered all of the misnamed iris) could not possibly be
> wrong and we must be crazy.  I offered to take the R & I books and go
> over any or all of the iris with them and he just got madder.  I finally
> just escaped back inside.  No-one wanted to keep them from winning and
> sometimes judges go overboard on this but we were very sure of our
> decisions.  What else could we do?

Chris writes:
That's really the only thing that you could have done. If the iris are
misnamed they are misnamed. As your offer to go over the details of your
decision with the R&I books was irrationally rejected by the person
entering the iris, its my opinion that your part is done. Unfortunately,
some people just can't be helped or don't want to learn.

--
Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b