Fresh Sprouts

I wrote a few days ago, telling of the success I had with Iris in a water
bog - this is my first season with both the Iris and the bog.  I also
mentioned the large seeds I had collected.  Well, out of curiosity, I stuck
about 10 of them in one of those long, rectangular flower planters (~ 30"L x
7"W x 6"D) and left it outside.  I expected that they would winter over
nicely and be ready to sprout next spring.  The rest (probably about 40 - 50
seeds) I dropped into a bowl in the dining room with a couple of inches of
water.  I now have four sprouts in the flower pot and nine sprouts in the
bowl.  They vary in height from an inch up to five inches.  I have two
questions.  (1) Is it normal for seeds to sprout the same season they are
formed?  (2) What do I do with them?  I have filled the bowl with marbles to
give the roots something to hold to.  I figured, they grew in pea gravel
outside so marbles should hold them.  Any advice/suggestions/guidance would
be appreciated.  TIA, Charlie
10 miles from the White House (zone 7 - at least until tomorrow, when things
should heat up considerably)