Judging and Misnaming

Dana Brown wrote:
> This is only too true.  But, it happens on both sides of the bench.  I
> judged a show several years ago where there were a high number of
> misnamed iris (8 or 10).  One or another of us on the panel had grown
> these iris and knew without a doubt that they were incorrect.  We wrote
> "misnamed" on the tags and went on with our judging.  After the judging
> was over I stepped outside for a cigarette (nasty habit, I know) and was
> met by a man wanting to know if I was one of "those" judges.  When I
> proudly admitted that yes, I was he begun to chew me out.  His wife (the
> one who had entered all of the misnamed iris) could not possibly be
> wrong and we must be crazy.  I offered to take the R & I books and go
> over any or all of the iris with them and he just got madder.  I finally
> just escaped back inside.  No-one wanted to keep them from winning and
> sometimes judges go overboard on this but we were very sure of our
> decisions.  What else could we do?

Having never entered an iris in a show, let alone taken any judges
training or read the book (ordered but not received), I would ask a (for
me at least) simple question. What does a name have to do with whether
an iris is Queen of the Show or not? If it is the best iris there, why
wouldn't it win?

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.