Moldy Iris

Resending

-- BEGIN included message

Dana Brown wrote:

> I gave them a clorox rinse and they are
> doing fine but I don't know how to keep them from molding in the first
> place.
>         Earlier this year someone asked about clorox soaks.  I remember them
> getting a good answer but it was inadvertantly deleted.  I would like to
> know:
> 1. How long do they need to soak in the clorox/water mix.
> 2. Is 10% clorox about right?
> 3. Do you need to rinse with clean water afterward?

1. 5-10 min should be fine. longer is ok. I left some in for an hour
once. Didn't seem to hurt them.
2. Yes
3. Yes, No, probably doesn't matter, but I do.

When we bag Irises for our sale we cut "eye" holes (wedge shape cuts) in
the folds along the sides of the bag for air circulation. Wouldn't hurt
to have some holes high and low in the bag. Be sure they are dry when
you put them in, and don't close the tops until you really need to.

My problem with the ones I have had sitting bags waiting for me to plant
is that grey aphids keep growing on them. Probably don't do much damage
but it irritates me a lot.

---

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.