Re: Iris blooming, photos, kiwi visitors.

In a message dated 96-11-03 23:12:56 EST, Dana wrote:

<< No-one wanted to keep them from winning and
 sometimes judges go overboard on this but we were very sure of our
 decisions.  What else could we do? >>

Nothing, Dana!  Mis-labed irises must certainly be corrected/disqualified.
 What I meant to point out was that "newbies" can be permanently discouraged
from showing if made to feel foolish or stupid for an honest mistake.  And in
the case I remember so well, it was not the judges doing the hooting!  The
judges were discrete, I'm happy to say.

As a grower, I certainly want to know if I have something wrong!  I've also
been in the position of the judge who's had to point out errors, and it's
something I'd just as soon not have to do, especially if, as happened this
year--the mislabeled iris is a really nice specimen.

Dorothy Fingerhood
DFingerhoo@aol.com
Newfield, NY