Re: Shows -- Classification & Placement

In a message dated 96-11-04 13:23:18 EST, Sharon wrote:

<< Sometimes entrants try to take their own
 rejected entries to the show tables.  One year, I caught a young man at this
 THREE times with the same stalk.  >>

Sharon, unfortunatlely I've seen this too, or a variant.  The entrant flipped
through a Shreiner's catalog until she found a similar iris and then tried
THAT name on the entry tag....!

Sharon continued...
<<. I'll never forget the woman who returned to the
classification table with an entry I'd rejected, hoping to have better luck
my replacement.  The name was of an arilbred that has delicate dotting and
veining, while the would-be entrant's flower was a bitone with a large signal
so of course the second committee member also rejected it.   The entrant
adamantly insisted her label was correct, even after she was shown the R&I
description the second time.  At that point, Ann very diplomatically said
let's check with the hybridizer!" -- called me over and introduced me.
I'd been wearing a name-tag all along -- but the would-be entrant hadn't

Sharon, this is a wonderful story!  Thanks for sharing it--I'll be chuckling
for a long time over this one.

Dorothy Fingerhood
(Newfield, NY)