Re: AIS Awards System

<< ust out of curiosity, I didn't quite follow that last bit.  I get it
 that the three TB competitors for the Dykes would be the top three
 winners of the Wister (a sort of preliminary competition).  And I also
 thought that the same *type* (TB, Japanese, etc.) shouldn't win the
 Dykes all the time -- so in the next year, the same competitors of the
 previous year in one class should compete against the newcomers?  I
 don't quite get this.
Here is the "problem" that was being "fixed"......under the rules eligibility
for the Dykes has been the winning of a medal, e.g. Wister for TB, Payne for
Japanese, Morgan-Wood for Siberian, etc, etc.  A medal winner stays eligible
for 3 years, and then if it does not win the Dykes, is no longer eligible.
   BUT so far under this system only TBs have won....so there this year each
class of irises had 3 eligible irises EXCEPT TBs.   Many people were upset
because there was only one TB...some because they wanted more TBs to choose
from and some because they felt that there are people who will only vote for
a TB thereby causing a concentration of vote making it unfair to classes were
there are 3 eligible candidates.   There was much demand for "fixing"
this...and this is what the Board did.  Clarence Mahan in VA