Re: Judging and Misnaming

<< What does a name have to do with whether
 an iris is Queen of the Show or not? If it is the best iris there, why
 wouldn't it win?

Any properly REGISTERED rhizomous iris can win a ribbon in a show, and can
win Best Specimen  (A species entered as a species and not as a named clone
need not be registered...if it is entered as a named cultivar, however, it
must be registered! An unnamed iris or a misnamed iris cannot win anything!

The show committee, not the judges, are responsible for ensuring that only
properly named irises are entered in the show.  But if judges know the iris
to be improperly named they cannot award it a ribbon....so when I judge a
show I just pass by misnamed irises....if I am asked why, I say the iris does
not meet the standards for that cultivar, and that the show committee should
look it up in the check lists.  They show committee can argue with the
exhibitors....I will not.

John, in an iris show one is not judging whether an iris is a good iris or
not....what is being judged is whether that stalk is a good representation of
that iris, i.e. is it a well grown and groomed stalk of the cultivar as
described in the registration books and as the judge has seen it growing
before.      If you do not know what the iris is, i.e. it has no name, you
don't know what the iris should look like so you cannot judge it.  On the
other hand, if the entry is misnamed, it is not a good representation of the
named cultivar it is supposed to be so it cannot be given an award.  (The
exception to this is a seedling...when one judges seedlings one is judging
the iris itself, ..but a seedling is not eligible for Queen of the Show).   I
hope this answers your question.

Clarence Mahan in VA