Re: Judging and Misnaming

> Having never entered an iris in a show, let alone taken any judges
> training or read the book (ordered but not received), I would ask a (for
> me at least) simple question. What does a name have to do with whether
> an iris is Queen of the Show or not? If it is the best iris there, why
> wouldn't it win?
	All iris are judged as who they are.  If Madame X grows only 28 inches
tall then you can not penalize her for that.  On the other hand if she
grows 36" tall and this specimen is only 28" then she is not grown to
her potential.  Without an idea of who an iris is you can not determine
whether the health, color, etc. are good or bad.  If you compare two
equally well grown and groomed iris, one a 1940 blue and white plicata
and the other a 1990 blue and white plicata most of the time the 1990
will win.  It has more of what we are looking for in an iris today,
width, ruffling, substance, so on and so forth.  Although the 1940 is
beautiful and might be worthy of a Queen of the Show if you judged the
two as the same cultivar the 1940 will almost always come off second
	I realize this is rambling but it is very important to know which iris
you are entering and judging. That's why some of us keep computer
records and maps.

Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
Where we are currently 1.5 inches behind in rain for the month of
October and @ 5 inches behind for the year.