Re: Digging, dousing, replanting

Arnold Koekkoek wrote:
> Dana:  I can't give you the RIGHT answer, but in response to your
> questions I'd like to tell you what I do.  It seems to work, so.....
> 1. When I use a clorox solution, I just dip thoroughly, no soak.
> 2. I use stronger than 10%, more like 1/3 clorox.
> 3. I never rinse, only let it dry naturally.
> 4. After I dig, clean, etc., any storage is out in the open air,
> never in a bag of any klnd.  I keep mine in the garage or in the
> basement (dry, though, not in damp air), and I have yet to have a
> single one ever get any mold.  They may look a bit ratty, but they
> always grow, so it must be a (if not the) right way.
> Arnold Koekkoek
> NW Iowa  Zone 4

Funny Arne, but I do the same thing.  Mostly I do it with the Callas,
Peruvian Daffodils, or Peacock Orchids that I dig up in the fall for
next spring planting.  It works well on amaryllis also.  I keep them in
my mother's basement.

Medically, the only thing that can stand this treatment is bacterial
spores.  It kills anything else.
Mike Jones    (jonesmic@mail.stlukes.org)
Sioux City, Iowa http://www.siouxlan.com/
U.S.A.        USDA Zone 4b