Re: Protecting Seed Pods

Donald said
> I improvised by covering the top of the stalk with some of those
>white plastic grocery bags.  Since these bags are opaque, do you think that
>I could leave these in place for a while without doing any harm to the pod?

My experiences with covering things:

Any material touching the plant will NOT provide any protection where it
touches (so you need to make some kind of frame to keep the protection away
from the plant and leave air space for insulation.  Paper bags work better
than plastic for that reason (they stand on their own), but plastic with a
frame would work ok.

Any material that doesn't let warm air out will overheat the plant in the sun
making it more vulnerable to frost the next time.

Several layers of reemay work better than anything else I have tried
(blankets, sheets, plastic, paper).  Cardboard works pretty well.

Make sure there is good contact with the ground all the way around the base
of the plant to avoid 'chimneying' the 'warm' air out the top of the cover
and generally to avoid drafts which defeat the purpose of the cover.

Just covering the plant doesn't really provide it any protection - plants
aren't warm blooded <grin>.  The object is to close the plant in with the
relatively greater warmth of the earth and block back radiation and wind..

Probably spraying them with water like they do the peach orchards in spring
bloom would provide protection from freezing.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA