TB processing (was Re: New Rebloom Terrible seedling)

<< Normally when
 I dig I trim, clean and wash my iris.  Then I store them in paper bags
 until the day of our sale.  The ones I am keeping for myself may stay in
 these paper bags for a couple of weeks.  This year some of them molded
 before I got them planted.  I gave them a clorox rinse and they are
 doing fine but I don't know how to keep them from molding in the first
 place. >>

Dana, one problem might be that the irises were not sufficiently dried after
the wash to store stacked up in a (closed?) paper bag.  I have found that an
amazing amount of water gets into the leaf bases when they are washed, and it
takes a good amount of drying time to get it all out.  I dry them tipped up
(roots up), in addition, so that the water in the leaves will run out down
the trimmed foliage.  Drying them tipped up on screens, in a breezy but not
too sunny location , off the ground, is what I strive for, and I have not had
trouble with mold with the rhizomes I have processed this way for our club
sales.  Even after dry, I try not to stack them too much, and  keep them in
an airy place until just before they must be packed up. Of course, this is
for bearded irises only.

Dorothy Fingerhood
Newfield, NY