Re: Iris blooming, photos, kiwi visitors.

> From my own bag of bad memories, I well remember some hoots that occurred the
> first ( and last time, I sincerely hope!)  I entered a misnamed iris,
> innocently believing for years that it was what it was labeled as when I got
> it!  That experience has, I hope, made me a little more sensitive to the fact
> that honest mistakes will occur, and how the "transgressor" is approached and
> treated will make the difference between whether they ever show up again or
> not!
	This is only too true.  But, it happens on both sides of the bench.  I
judged a show several years ago where there were a high number of
misnamed iris (8 or 10).  One or another of us on the panel had grown
these iris and knew without a doubt that they were incorrect.  We wrote
"misnamed" on the tags and went on with our judging.  After the judging
was over I stepped outside for a cigarette (nasty habit, I know) and was
met by a man wanting to know if I was one of "those" judges.  When I
proudly admitted that yes, I was he begun to chew me out.  His wife (the
one who had entered all of the misnamed iris) could not possibly be
wrong and we must be crazy.  I offered to take the R & I books and go
over any or all of the iris with them and he just got madder.  I finally
just escaped back inside.  No-one wanted to keep them from winning and
sometimes judges go overboard on this but we were very sure of our
decisions.  What else could we do?

--
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
Where we are currently 1.5 inches