Re: covers

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:
> We are scheduled for a hard freeze tonight - first of the fall.   It is
> forcast for low 20s so I am expecting 20 or colder here, but am determined to
> try to see SUMMER OLYMPICS bloom. My garden stays littered with 2 liter cola
> bottles full of water which I use to even out the day/night temperature
> swings (pay attention all you frost pocket gardeners).  They absorb heat
> during the day and release it at night.  Paper bags just aren't enough when
> the sun won't get around to my garden till after 10 am this time of year, so
> I plan to take an old plastic kitchen trash can and cut the bottom out of it,
> then put that over my iris plant upside down with a couple of water bottles
> lying around the plant on the inside.  Then cover the top with some reemay.
> It would be nice to have some nice polycarbonate domes or cones that would
> fit over iris in bloom.  If I had something like that with holes cut for air,
> with water bottles inside, draped with reemay, I could garden all winter,
> take them off during long warm spells.  I have tried cutting the cola bottles
> apart, but haven't been able to come up with a simple way to use the pieces.
>  I may try again this winter - maybe I could sew them together...start a new
> cottage industry for recyclers..  Anchor them down with blizzard posts.
> Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA

You people who are in warmer areas and get sporadic frosts might try
"Wall-O-Waters".  I have used them in the spring when the warming trend
makes it worthwhile.  They give protection into the 20's.  They work
like the water jugs, but you have a pleated "Tee Pee" around your plant
for protection.  Since the water has to give up heat to freeze, it can
save your plant for temporary temperature drops.  You can get them from
most catalogs.  I got mine from Gurney's.  About $7-8.  They might not
be tall enough for some blooming iris though.

Mike Jones    (jonesmic@mail.stlukes.org)
Sioux City, Iowa http://www.siouxlan.com/
U.S.A.        USDA Zone 4b
     The Loess Hills