Re: Snowfences and Iris

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, norma hensen wrote:

> It's windward and your right, no fence on the other side of whatever is
> being protected.  It must be perdictable wind in Wyoming because I have
> never seen them built on the other side.

	Try as I might to logically think this out, I was swept back many
	years and could see the snow fences on our farm in Vermont covered
	with snow drifts on *both* sides. We farmed on a hill with little
	tree cover and the wind was wicked. My Dad and I used to put the
	fences up this time of year and I'm not sure if the town provided
	them to us to keep the road open or if every farm had their
	own fences...after a few Vermont snowstorms, they were essentially
	useless and we sledded and skiied right over them and my Mom's
	iris and yes, she grew TBs.:-)

	Still loving New England winters,

	Ellen Gallagher  e_galla@moose.ncia.net  Lancaster, NH, USA
		Zone 3