Re: AIS:convention (long)

From: JEM300@aol.com

Hi,

Just wanted to add my two cents here to Walter's and Dorothy's observations
which were very good by the way.

I had previously planned to go to Dallas convention but now am rethinking it.

I would like to see it scheduled so that you can get a decent airfare rate
(meaning staying a Saturday night).  Currently, it begins on a Saturday April
15th.  However, I have absolutely no need or desire to attend AIS "bored"
meetings and like MOST folks are only interested in the garden tours.
Therefore, my plan was to arrive the day of the welcome banquet (Monday) and
leave for home the day after the Awards banquet.  Since the airfare to do
this is exorbitant I guess I either have to show up two days early (and
twiddle my thumbs while paying for two additional nights hotel stay) or not
go at all.  Not to mention that I will have to schedule an entire week off of
work.  Do the folks who schedule these things feel everyone who attends is
either rich, retired, or in the iris business and can use the trip as a write
off on their taxes? This kind of scheduling (poor, in my opinion) can really
be a disadvantage to the iris enthusiast such as myself.

Maybe I'm the only one this affects but I doubt it.  I just wanted to express
my opinion, Thanks!

Linda Doffek
West Bend, WI  Zone 5
Member AIS, SSI, MIS, and Wisconsin Iris Society