From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

John I Jones wrote:

> From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
> Glenn,
> Many of the "Free" require that you have banners on your page or like
> Geocities put a pop up on the receivers screen every time they change pages. I
> for one go to those kind of websites only on "dire necessity." With free
> hosting as with most else, you get what you pay for.
> Many email services (@Home, Pacbell for example) now offer 3-5MB of space for
> your personal pages included with you email service/net access. These
> typically do not have banner requirements.
> I am sure there are some better "free" ones out there, but you will probably
> have to put up with "paining" your viewers with one sort of advertising or another.
> John

Good to hear from you John and I'm in perfect agreement with you on all these "pop-up"
banners!  I hate them and avoid web sites that use them if at all possible.  I should
have mentioned this in my original post.  Also I should have mentioned that what I am
looking for is a host for a commercial web page.  My ISP is Southwest Bell and they do
offer a 5 meg free homage but the extension will be .net not .com and of all the
communication I have had with SwBell so far I still have not received a satisfactory
answer as to whether or not they will allow me to put up a small commercial site using
their free .net offer.

I have been trying to avoid geocities and tripod because of their pop-up banners.  Some
non-related advertising on my web page would be okay but not pop-up banners.  I'm
willing to accept some advertising to receive a free web page but there is a limit!  :)