Re: Iris seed germination

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 11/02/1999 7:30:58 PM Central Standard Time,
ddbro@llano.net writes:

>  Am I understanding this correctly?  You planted on 12/10 and had
>  germination 6 days later??  What had you done to prepare these seeds
>  prior to planting?
Yes Dana they started germinating 6 days after planting...these seed were
picked very green. I picked the pods and shelled them into baby food jars
leaving the lids off them while sitting them in a cool dark area. Some did
develope a fungus but very small amount which didn't seem to hamper the
germination. Other seed were picked at different stages so therefore all were
drier than these in this first report. The only cold treatment the others
were given was in my unheated greenhouse. I used Pro-Mix a seed starter
soiless mix. I then kept them watered till they germinated at which time I
would let the soil dryout then water as needed. I would fertilize with
miracle-gro at 1/4 strength every 4 weeks. Hope this helps...
                    Jim Loveland, Fenton, Mo   Zone 5