From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>

Have you ever been to a national meeting?  I find it hard to believe that a
person only wants to see gardens--there are so many other things to do--like
Section Meetings--there are so many sections and only 2 days for their
meetings--and there are many attendees who cannot go to all the ones they
want--because of the schedules--the section meetings are usually
great--slide shows, wonderful speakers, rhizome auctions--and other
Do you know how many of the AIS Board are lamenting the fact that they have
to be at Board Meetings and cannot go to the section meetings?  In
fact--they voted to start Board Meetings a day early--so that they could
then go to some of the sections meetings--
And then there are the Judges Training meetings--used to be they were at the
same time--now they are scheduled so that you can go to all of them--and the
speakers for them are the best--
And the other activities--Banquets and IRIS-TALK DINNER-- which was started
last year, and where you get to meet talkers and put faces with e-mail
I cannot imagine someone not enjoying the activities that are 'other than
visiting gardens'--you can visit gardens almost anywhere--but where else can
you spend time with such great persons as AIS members--
The first meeting I went to--I was by myself--knew one other person who
'might be' there--and discovered that AIS persons are among the friendliest
that there are--and I was no longer alone--and now look forward to meeting
old friends and making new ones--and, yes, I do get to go to gardens and see
a few iris!!  carryl in western Montana--where it was down into the teens
last night--winter is here!!