Swedish irispictures

From: "Maj Öhrström" <pajden@algonet.se>

Dear irisarians,

Perhaps you remember the little Swedish Irisproblem of last year.

Now I have put better photos of my old one  on my gardensite,
I have  learnt to keep the files small to speed up downloading so I hope

your patience won´t be stretched too far.
Building a homepage is like planting a garden, you plan a lot and move
things around to find the best place.

This summer we went back to Ostergotland in search of the old iris.

 There was no purple iris on the old stonewall and the new, young
farmer, a distant relative to the old one, had never heard of it. Of
course, a little iris requires at least a minimum of care, you can´t
expect it to fight couchgrass and other strong weeds all alone.

 My mother´s garden is a sleeping beauty hidden in thick grass, firtrees

and birches. The old peonyplant was in good shape,  it must be at least
150 years old  by now. The martagonlilies had sowed themselves all over
the place but they were thin. Maybe there were more plants among the
bushes but I did not have time to trace them. I am afraid no prince will

ever come and wake this princess up again.

This summer was unusually warm and dry and the irises in my own garden
thrived, no snails, no slugs!
 My iriscollection is growing rapidly. For the first time in my life I
have bought  irises, everyone (eight), I could find in the nursery,
rather expensive I think, about five dollars each. They grow quite well.

Of course you know them all.

Golden Bow, Susan Bliss, Cliffs of Dover, Lent A Williamson, Eleanor
Roosefelt, Mrs Alan Grey, and Joanna are still holding up big green fans

as if no winter was coming.Seven unknowns also grow like weeds,
 but Ola Kala is not doing well. I suspect the first frost will be a
grim surprise for all of them.
Grandma Amanda went to bed  in early september as a sensible old lady,
she knows swedish winters.
Maybe I will have a lot of wonderful flowers next year. It is so

Greetings from
Maj Ohrstrom, Sweden.