Re: CULT: planting seeds

From: dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Dennis Kramb wrote:

> From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
> I started planting iris seeds today.  This summer I harvested seeds from
> about 75 pods, and I managed to get about 1/3 of them planted today.  When
> do the rest of you folks start planting?
> Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
> Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6; AIS Region 6
> http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html

Dennis, I usually start at the beginning of February with little pots in
the west facing window each of them with a margarine tin for watering.
Use filtered water because our tap water is so hard. except for the PCN
seeds they should go in the fridge for a month and then alternate 1 day
in the fridge with 1 day out of the fridge until little green sprouts
show. The pots should be kept moist.  I versicolor seeds need freezing
for a couple of weeks. I've got some wild collected I vers seeds which
will go out in the garden.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page