Re: PCN: douglasiana (143ex)

From: "Patterson, Dallas" <nye@mail.fidalgo.net>

Hello Rita,

We've had this Douglas Iris for the past six years. It has always been a
healthy and evergreen iris for us. We brought it home to Temple
City, California from the South Pasadena Nursery in South Pasadena,
California in 1993. They obtained it from the wholesaler-distributor,
David-Royston, who had no further information about the introduction of
this particular cultivar. Normally, we collect named PCI cultivars.
However, we made an exception in this case, because we also collect
many PCI and other species. Since the plant tag identified the plant as
an I. douglasiana (143ex), we suspected the (143ex) designation may be a
hybridizer's number for a seedling or a collector's number for a
collected variety. We thought someone may happen to know something
about who and/or when this particular (143ex) cultivar or variety was
hybridized or collected.

Although we already had other PCI cultivars and species in our
collection, this plant interested us, because of its glossy and dark
green foliage. After moving our portable plants to our present home in
Washington, we were pleased to find several of our I. douglasiana
remained evergreen throughout three winters. This (143ex)
variety/cultivar was especially hardy in the snow, so we wondered if
anything further is known about it.

BTW, we just moved our I. douglasiana alba into a more exposed position
by the highway. It was evergreen last winter, so we'll see if the plant
withstands the more rigorous exposure this winter.

We enjoy all of our PCI, but the simple beauty and hardiness of the PCI
species have long proven to be very special features in our all-seasons
gardens. (TB) Queen Dorothy blooms in the snow on Thanksgiving and the
first week of December, I. unguicularis blooms off and on all winter,
and I. douglasiana's foliage flashes its dark green out from under the
mounds of snow. Iris in a winter garden are great <g>.

Dallas Patterson
Anacortes, Washington
nye@fidalgo.net
Zone 8