OT: Club Funds To Attend Convention

From: Irisborer@aol.com

Kathy Guest here in frosty E. Aurora, NY

Our Region is very generous when it comes to RVP travel.  While I was RVP, I
received a stipend of $1,200 towards such travel.  My responsibilities were
to attend both fall and spring board meetings and to act on behalf of my
region and report on the Board meetings when I returned - and also to give
reports on the gardens at the convention.  The stipend was to cover hotel and
travel only - and was to be receipted.

I think this is an excellent policy for those regions that can afford it,
since it means that anyone can be RVP .... even though they may not have
disposable income to spend to attend these things. And it is every RVP's
responsibility to be at both the fall and spring AIS Board meeting.

On the other hand, my DAYLILY club (of which I just stepped down as Prez),
voted this year to create a POOL of funds for any member to attend the
regional meeting.  The requirements were:

1.  They had to have been a member for at least one year
2.  Spouses of members did not count
3.  They had to be active (attended several meetings, etc)

We had a very healthy treasury so we created a pool......  people had to
apply to the pool 6 months in advance.  We divided each person's grant by the
number of people applying and the size of the pool.

We did, in fact, create TWO pools..... one for registration and one for
travel.  Most people ended up only having to pay $10 or $15 towards their
registration.  As for travel, the plan was to rent a bus - but since the
meeting was over 10 hours away, that was actually going to be
cost-prohibited.  So, instead, we found excursion rate airline tickets and
used the pool money against those.

So, to answer your question - although I don't believe that most clubs pay
for members to attend things like regionals and conventions..... there is one
possible mechanism to recommend for those clubs with healthy treasuries.

Kathy Guest - full of ........................ COFFEE, I'm full of COFFEE.
in East Aurora, NY