Re: Good Iris Reference, Descriptions

From: Barb Johnson <bdjohnson@atlascomm.net>

waddie wrote:

> From: waddie <waddie@slip.net>
> I've just been given 'Zena Flora', 'Lillian Lee', 'Minnie Colqiut',
> 'Cuba', 'Loop the Loop' and 'Los Angeles'.  My reference book doesn't
> list them at all.  I'd like a recommendation of a reference source that
> shows dates of introduction, hybridizer, plant description and a picture
> if possible.
> Would someone a) make a suggestion for a good reference source, and b)
> (sorry to ask twice in one week) provide me with any known information
> re the above irises.
> Thank you everyone.
> Waddie

Hi, Waddie, thought I'd add some descriptions to what Cindy sent you.
Zena Flora is probably Flora Zenor, which I have. Jacob Sass 1941. Late
Midseason --  Superstition carries it. It's strawberry soda pink with a
shrimp pink beard. When mine bloomed last year, it had some purple
around the beard. Is this usual -- anyone?

Lillian Lee -- Hooker Nichols 1988  36"  Early-Midseason -- Ruffled rose
pink, darker hafts; orange red beard.

Loop the Loop -- Schreiners 1975  40" Midseason -- Uniform-colored
plicata; blue-violet on white ground; lemon yellow to white beard. This
was introduced in 1975 but registered in 1973.

Cuba -- I believe this old variety is obsolete, according to the 1939
Check list. What you have may be
Cuba Libre -- Gordon Plough 1957  35" Early-Midseason -- a 'fancy'
plicata. Standards pansy violet; falls plum purple; clean yellow
shoulders and throat.

Los Angeles -- Mohr-Mitchell 1927  Midseason-- This is also a plicata.
Superstition sells it. It's a blue and white tetraploid plicata. Nearly
pure white.  White, delicate blue-violet marks. Better grower than San
Francisco. Superstition sez: White standards faintly edged pale blue;
clear white falls beautifully reticulated red-brown at the base; very
rare and VERY limited.  (San Francisco is its sibling, and won the Dykes
Medal in 1927, the same year they both came out.)

Minnie Colquitt -- another plicata. Hans P. Sass (NE)1942  32-36"
MidLate  Slightly fragrant
Pearly white, peppered and edged bluish-wine. Plicata, wine-purple,
slightly ruffled, large flowers, husky grower. Long season of flowering.
It was immensely popular with gardeners as well as breeders.  PICTURE ON
HIPS WEBPAGE.  Picture in Spring 1997 ROOTS, p.13.

The URL for the HIPS (Historic Iris Preservation Society) webpage is
In addition to hundreds of great pictures, they have lots and lots of
information. You will LOVE this site!
Cheers, Barb

Barb Johnson			mailto:bdjohnson@atlascomm.net
Near Springfield, SW Missouri	AIS, ISO, HIPS, RIS, MIS
USDA Zone 5b			AIS Region 18 (KS & MO)
Learn the natural way to health at    http://chetday.com