ADMIN: Subject Tags

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Seems we are having a spate of folks posting without using Subject Tags
especially from people who by their *own admission*, know better. New folks on
the list get some slack, old timers don't ...

And yes, I am being a jerk about this. The majority of folks like having the
Subject Tags. I try to keep hands off, and mostly things are great on the
list, courteous, thoughtful, helpful and a wide range of subjects. Keeps the
list interesting.

Sooo.... as a reminder

Subject tags are used to help subscribers who use filters to sort their mail,
and for others to decide whether they want to read or delete a message.

Subject Tags are used to preface the subject lines of the messages you send to
the list.

Use only the Subject Tags contained in the list sent out in the Welcome
Message that you got when you subscribed to iris-talk (You DID read it didn't
you? - And maybe printed it out for reference?)  I have also included the list
below. Print it out for future reference.

The format is the tag in ALL CAPS, followed by a colon (:), followed by your
subject. (no space between the subject tag and the colon)

[Subject tag]:[your subject description]

The colon is a very important part of the tag. No other separator are allowed there

For instance:

REB: Mariposa Skies in California

Would be a proper Subject Tag and subject line

Reb-Mariposa Skies in California

would *NOT* be a proper tag (the tag is not in all caps and contains a "-"
instead of a ":" as a seperator)

Remember it is ok to fix a Subject Tag when you "Reply", and to change the Tag
and subject if your reply is wondering far afield of the original subject.

Don't forget to cut out all that unnecessary text from your replies.

If you are having any trouble with any of this, please contact me directly at:

 TAG    Used For
----   --------

 TB:    tall bearded irises
 MED:   median and dwarf bearded irises
 AR:    arilbred and aril irises
 SIB:   Siberian irises
 LA:    Louisiana irises
 JI:    Japanese irises
 SPU:   spuria irises
 PCN:   Pacific coast native irises
 BULB:  bulb irises (Dutch, reticulatas, Junos)
 SPEC:  iris species (particularly those not covered in another category)

 REB:   reblooming irises
 SA:    space-age irises
 HIST:  historic irises and history of iris development

 CULT:  culture
 HYB:   hybridizing
 REF:   references (books and society publications)
 SHOW:  iris shows and related topics
 IRC:   IRC chat sessions (currently Friday nights)
 AIS:   American Iris Society business and issues
 PHOTO: iris photography
 COMP:  iris-related computer topics (record keeping, photo digitizing, etc.)
 CAT:   iris catalogs and discussion of commercial nurseries
 AD:    iris-related advertisement (ads not related to irises are *not*

 OT-PLANTS: other garden plants (not irises)
 OT-ART:    iris-motif art and craftwork
 OT-HUMOR:  iris-related humor
 OT-CHAT:   personal messages and conversation (consider taking it off-list!)
 OT-BIO:    introduction from a new subscriber (please follow with your name)

 ADMIN:    Reserved for list owner

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS
AIS Special Committee for Electronic Member Services

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at: