Re: Re: TB:Tough ones

From: mmboehm@attglobal.net

Our experience with late planting, or even "on time" planting of TB's here in
Connecticut is not a matter of hardiness of the rhizomes but of varying extremes of
weather over the winter.  Freezing and thawing and more freezing and thawing so
often heave the rhizomes that come spring they are standing on tippy toe, if not
turned over with one root tenuously attached.  I often put a stone on the rhizome
to help hold it in place.
Spring rains are also a problem in a big way.  The rhizomes may be beautiful in
March and rotted by May.  It's very discouraging.  This year I'm trying the
suggestion of mulching with, as well as digging around the edges and adding, coarse
sand.  Here's hoping.
Margaret Boehm
Wilton, CT zone 6