Growing Irises in Queensland Australia

From: charmain@enter.net.au

Hello Iris Growers out there
I have been growing irises for 2 yrs now.
There has been very little information available about the pitfalls of trying to grow irises in Australia. We have several frosts here. Our summers are hot.
The main problems which we have learned to address are rust, soft rot and rhizome rot.
Zineb was really successful in controlling the rust problem. The 1st year we had lots of rhizome rot and set about digging and soaking in bleach solution and then replanting. I have now realised that a clean up and zineb was equally effective. I am trailling Bayer product and hortico oil at the moment to be rain resistive.
I have about 300 irises and was introduced to daylilies as compainion plants as well.
Hope to here from Australian growers with sinmiliar problems ,hints and tips to achieve better results.
Charmaine in Toowoomba Australia.