From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>

We now grow about 20 different Space Agers in the club garden--varying to
some of the first introduced up to newest--and the conclusion that has been
drawn for their appendages appearing or not--for our area--is that the
colder and longer with colder weather--the less likely the flowers to have
their appendages--
Sometimes, the horn will be on one set of petals only--and the other two are
regular TB beards--whereas the later blooms on the same stalk will show all
3 horns--
The SA's which bloom later in our season--which means blooming in late
June--usually have all of the horns/appendages--whereas the earlier blooming
ones tend to not have their horns if we had a cool--long cool spring--
Even without the horns/appendages, most of the newer SA's are great looking,
and worth keeping--even if not showing their horns!!
Carryl in western Montana--where it is cold--but expecting record heat--for
us--in two days   zone 3/4
If someone wants a list of the cold hardy Iris we grow here--send me a note
privately--we have many in the club garden