Encouraging rhizomes to set roots

From: "Charmaine" <charmain@enter.net.au>

I was wondering if a similiar solution instead of rooting powder on
daylilies would work.
The stems of willow trees are cut into 1" pieces soaked in water for 1-2
The daylilies are then placed  in this water for 24 hrs prior to planting.
I guess it would be similiar to putting aspirin in the water as this was the
first source of aspirin.

I was encouraged to see that others have similiar problems with diseases.
I have had several expensive new irises simply bloom out.
No signs of any new growth just masses of large multi-bud blooms.
And Poof no more energy left for growth I suppose.
Have tried fish emulsion and slow release fertiliser.
Am considering the willow bark water to try to get some response.
I was delighted to get to see E. Loseby at Tamworth and S. Kelly at Bingara
garden of irises this Oct.
Mine are starting to really bloom now. I think in Toowoomba we still dont
have the heat for early blooms.
It was amazingly hot at tamworth but today is still cool this morning here
on top of the range Toowoomba.

Nice to hear from you Jan. Maybe you could tell me of other places to see
irises in bloom as this was the first time I had ever seen so many out at
the same time. I feel that Nov is rather to hot to plant new rhizomes and
think that we would get better results up  here with planting out in late
Jan. but I guess it when they are available.
I have found the rhizomes from the above 2 suppliers excellent quality and
all varities $ 5 even ones I had paid $15-$25 for were $5 plus $5 post.

I am certainly passionate about growing irises and race out to see what
flower is opened every morning after 2yrs. Some did not flower the first
year. I am only now limited to the space on how many new additions my garden
can take. Have introduced a hit list of some I dont like. I think they know
and grow the best to deter me from giving them the flick.
Gardening in Toowoomba Australia