Re: SPEC: CULT: reichenbachii

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Citing several sources, Anner wrote in response to the question:
> << Does anyone know what the growing requirements for I. reichenbachii are?
>
>  "Should be grown in light, rich, well drained soil. ....
> Reputed to be rather suscepticble to fungal and bacterial infection." "... the need for "stong loam and plenty of lime."
> "is not tender.. in Germany."  "Its tremendous increase...

Ian Efford, Canada, sent some starts of two reichenbachii seedlings last
year.  My soil is excessively well-drained, gravelly [light], rich
[strong?] loam.  One clump is threatening to take over the place -
definitely a strong grower here with "tremendous increase" & so far, no
sign of rot.

I haven't given it huge amounts of lime - just the standard dusting with
ground dolomite, alfalfa pellets and a sprinkling of 6-12-12 with trace
nutrients.

The other clone (with the nicer flowers, of course) hasn't fared as well
and I'm not sure it is still alive.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
is this really mid-November?