Re: SPEC:CULT: Iris reichenbachii

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/11/99 6:22:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, lmann@icx.net
writes:

<< One clump is threatening to take over the place -definitely a strong
grower here with "tremendous increase" & so far, no sign of rot.   >>

O I C.

A species under group study is it? I think Ian did very well to send you some
for trial. I'll poodle back over to the bookshelf and poke about a little
more...

Might as well deal with the Sacred Writings first. W. R. Dykes, THE GENUS
IRIS, p153: "As might be expected the foliage entirely disappears in winter,
and as the flowers do not  appear until May they are less liable to suffer
than those of the French plant [I. chamaeiris]. I have not noticed that they
are fastidious as to soil, provided that adequate drainage is provided [...]
seedlings are easily raised"

Now, let us pull down Ella's superb little book.....that is Ella Porter
McKinney, one of those amazing New England irisariennes from the early years,
Charter Member of AIS and Director.....we are looking at IRIS IN THE LITTLE
GARDEN, 1927, p. 21, "A delightful small iris, perfectly hardy, but not
rampant, and needing a winter mulch of evergreen boughs or other open
material to protect against winter thaws. Lime, a well-aerated and
plentifully fed soil, sun, and division when the clumps have become thick are
it modest but imperative demands."

In DYKES ON IRISES, p.54. Himself tells us of a plant hunt in Dalmatia: "My
object was to get up onto the Velez Planina, the highest ridge (between 5,000
and 6,000 feet) in the neighbourhood, for on this mountain I knew, from
herbarium specimens [plants dried and pressed for scientific study], that
Iris Reichenbachii has been found...[but] everything above 3,000 feet was
deep in snow. I persevered as far as I could, but rough limestone, when the
strata emerges edgewise, and the interstices are full of snow, is difficult
to traverse, and I therefore returned empty handed after some ten hours of
very hard walking and climbing."

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com
" The mountain sheep are sweeter, But the valley sheep are fatter; We
therefore deemed it meeter To carry off the latter.'  --Peacock