Re: Encouraging rhizomes to set roots

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Charmaine wrote:
>The stems of willow trees are cut into 1" pieces soaked in water for >1-2
>days. The daylilies are then placed  in this water for 24 hrs >prior to
>planting.
>I guess it would be similiar to putting aspirin in the water as this >was
>the first source of aspirin.

Have you tried this method Charmaine? I would be interested in hearing the
results. If it is the aspirin that has the effect, I think it would be far
easier just to disolve a few disprin in a bucket of water, and soak the
rhizomes in that.

>I have had several expensive new irises simply bloom out.
>No signs of any new growth just masses of large multi-bud blooms.

I am having more success since I changed to growing new rz in pots before
planting. I can keep a closer eye on their needs, and I don't put them in
the garden until they have roots poking out the bottom of the pot. I have
experimented vaguely with slicing into the sides of the rz's to encourage
extra increase. I did this with SILVERADO and SPIRIT WORLD, and it seemed to
work, but they may have both been just about to increase anyway.

>Mine are starting to really bloom now. I think in Toowoomba we still >dont
>have the heat for early blooms.

What do you have in bloom?

>Nice to hear from you Jan. Maybe you could tell me of other places >to see
>irises in bloom as this was the first time I had ever seen so >many out at
>the same time.

I still haven't managed a trip to TEMPO TWO. I had planned it, but things
have just got too busy lately. My irises are getting closed to finished, and
I have already started dividing. I have 150 rz's in pots, and nowhere for
them to go, until I have made some more garden beds. I used to laugh at
other listers getting into this predicament. I also have a lot ordered, and
due to arrive in dec. Potting in Nov/Dec, and keeping the pots grouped
together, and close to the hose, makes it easy to water them as they need
it. I can creep out on hot evenings and give them a quick drink. I do find
they establish well if divided in early summer, and I have been told that
Barry Blyth of Tempo Two does this to get good increase.
I would love to hear an in depth report on the two gardens you visited. I
have bought rz's from both in the past. I'm particularly keen to hear what
they have new, as I have not had catalogues from either yet this year.
Another place you might visit is Newbridge Cottage garden. I haven't a clue
where it is, apart from in NSW somewhere. They also have a catalogue. Most
of their plants are $8 or $10.

Cheers, Jan Clark